Presenter: Christine Greer OConnor, PhD, LICSW
Description: This workshop explores the quarterlife crisis, which is an identity crisis that occurs during a life stage transition during one’s twenties and thirties. The workshop will:
- Describe the history and symptoms of the quarterlife crisis.
- Explore current trends among adults in their 20s and 30s.
- Provide case examples and the application of developmental theory.
- Discuss clinical strategies to support quarterlife clients.
Type of Event: Continuing Education
Category: Cat 1
CE Credit Hours: 3
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
1. Describe 3 symptoms of a quarterlife crisis.
2. Understand the unique challenges faced by quarterlifers.
3. Apply developmental theory to the quarterlife crisis.
4. Describe common themes in clinical work with quarterlifers.
5. Discuss clinical approaches for supporting quarterlife clients.
9:00 to 9:15: Introductions & Overview of the quarterlife crisis
9:15 to 9:45: Central themes of emerging adulthood
9:45 to 10:00: Adult developmental theory and presenting problems
10:00 to 10:30: Examine who the quarterlifers are and unique stressors
10:30 to 10:45: Break
10:45 to 11:00: Common terminology
11:00 to 11:15: Explore biases and contemporary attitudes toward quarterlifers
11:15 to 11:45: Case examples & clinical approaches
11:45 to 12:15: Discussion of themes in clinical work with quarterlifers, Q & A
Erikson, E. (1950, 1963). Childhood and Society.
Hassler, C. (2005). 20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction.
Jay, M. (2012). The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now.
Jayne, S. (2016). Quarter Life Poetry, Poems for the Young, Broke & Hangry.
Kegan, R. (1982). The Evolving Self: Problem and Process in Human Development.
Levinson, D.J. (1986). The Seasons of a Man’s Life.
Paul, S. (2000). The Conscious Bride: Women Unveil Their True Feelings about Getting Hitched.
Robbins, A. & Wilner, A. (2001). Quarterlife Crisis. The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties.
Robbins, A. (2004). Conquering Your Quarterlife Crisis: Advice from Twentysomethings Who Have Been There and Survived.